Welcome to the Sanford Police Department Web Site

TYLER DILLON MALMSTROM APPREHENDED

Friday, July 25, 2014

 BOSTON— Members of the Boston Police Fugitive Unit arrested Tyler Malmstrom today around 4:30 this afternoon in South Boston. Malmstrom ran from the Maine Coastal Regional Re-Entry Center in Belfast on July 10th and has been on the run since then. Malmstrom has family in Sanford, Maine and it was suspected that he would return there to seek assistance. Detec...tives from the Sanford Police Department and the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office have worked closely together to coordinate their investigation and search for Malmstrom.

Sanford Detectives learned today that Malmstrom was likely staying in the Boston area and they contacted the Boston Police Fugitive Unit to coordinate the search. Four hours after contacting the Fugitive Unit in Boston, Malmstrom was observed leaving an apartment building in the area of Hyde Park and he was arrested moments later without incident.

Malmstrom had local warrants out of Massachusetts along with his Maine warrants for Escape and Failure to Appear on a Domestic Assault charge which took place in Sanford on May 4th, 2014.

Detective Sergeant Jones credits the teamwork among several different law enforcement agencies across county and state lines today, and over the last two weeks. Sgt. Jones said, “It was this teamwork and coordination which was instrumental in apprehending a fugitive from justice who had been running from the law for over two weeks. I couldn’t have been more pleased with the rapid response we received from BPD’s Fugitive Unit today when we called them and told them we believe one of our fugitives is in your city. This was the best ending we could have hoped for with a case like this. Nobody got hurt and Tyler Malmstrom is back in custody.”



 Malmstrom-Arrested.doc

DECEASED MALE FOUND IN THE MOUSAM RIVER IDENTIFIED

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

 10-48-Pres-release.doc

FIREWORKS ORDINANCE

Thursday, June 26, 2014


Juvenile Arrest for Criminal Terrorizing, Class D

Friday, June 13, 2014

 On June 12, 2014 at approximately 2100 hours, patrol officers of the Sanford Police Department received information from a concerned parent that a 17 year-old student attending Sanford High School had posted threats onFacebook against classmates.  Specifically, the juvenile stated that he was contemplating shooting everyone in his class.  Officers responded to the juvenile’s residence and, during the investigation, spoke with the juvenile and his guardian.  It was determined that the threat was credible.  The juvenile was arrested and was committed by the JCCO to Long Creek Youth Center; however, prior to commitment, the juvenile was transported to the hospital for evaluation and is currently in protective custody pending a psychiatric evaluation and disposition.

 

A search of the juvenile’s bedroom and personal space did not reveal any weapons.  There were weapons in the residence that were secured, but could have possibly been accessed by the juvenile.

 

There is no indication that any other people were involved in this crime, and we do not believe that there is any continuing threat to the school or the community.

 

The Superintendent of Schools was notified at approximately 2330 hours on June 12, 2014.  Since the threat was neutralized, classes at Sanford High School were not cancelled or otherwise interrupted. Several Sanford Police Officers, along with the High School Resource Officer, were present on campus when school opened.

 

Chief Connolly stated: “The most important aspect of this case is that a student reported her concerns about the suspect’s Facebook posts to her mother, and the mother immediately called the police and alerted us to the threat, ultimately leading to the suspect’s arrest.  Since we believe that the suspect had the motive and the means to commit this crime, the student’s and parent’s swift action was crucial in allowing us to close this case.”  




FBI SEEKS VICTIMS OF VAMPIRE TRUCKER, HAS TRAVELED TO MAINE:

FBI SEEKS VICTIMS OF VAMPIRE TRUCKER, HAS TRAVELED TO MAINE:

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

 The FBI is seeking assistance obtaining information to further identify victims of Utah Based Truck
Driver, Timothy Jay Vafeades, also known as the Vampire Trucker. Vafeades was arrested in November
of 2013 on multiple charges. The arrest occurred when his 19-year-old daughter was discovered being
held captive in his truck where he had been holding her against her will for over six months, repeatedly
sexually and physically abusing her. Vafeades had been living in and driving his truck around the country
for years and additional victims have been identified since his arrest. He was indicted on March 26,
2014 in Salt Lake City, Utah on charges of kidnapping, transportation for illegal sexual activity,
transportation of child pornography, and possession of child pornography.
Vafeades targets the most vulnerable of victims using intimidation, brutality and appearance altering
techniques. He has utilized dental inserts to appear to have vampire-like fangs and has filed the teeth of
some of his victims as well as an appearance altering measure. Some victims were also made to wear
wigs or alter their hair (color and cut) to disguise their identities. These details may be key in identifying
his involvement in abuse, battery, kidnapping and possible missing persons cases over the last two and a
half decades. Through an extensive data review, the FBI has determined that Vafeades has crossed
borders and misrepresented himself as a means of gaining access to his targeted victims. He was
deported from Chile while working as an English teacher, for warrants relative to sex crimes in the US
and New Zealand.
Some of Vafeades’ victims may have been seen with him at restaurants, hotels, fuel stops or inspection
stations while he drove cross-country in his Twilight Express Trucking Company truck. They may have
been engaged in performing duties such as maintaining the log book or fueling the truck.
Vafeades is known to have traveled to the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa,
Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas,
Vermont, Washington, and Wyoming.
Anyone who has any possible leads or information that could lead to identifying additional victims of
Vafeades, please contact the FBI at SIR10693@LISTSERV.LEO.GOV or call (304) 625-3949.




BUSINESS CONTACT FORM FOR SANFORD/ SPRINGVALE BUSINESSES

Saturday, May 24, 2014

 We have recently added a “business contact form” section of our website. This is for business owners to fill out and submit to us electronically. The purpose of the form is to keep your records with us current and the information will allow officers to find your location quicker and contact owners if there is a need especially after business hours or in an emergency situation. Some examples of this would be activation of your businesses alarm or if damage has been done to your business.

 

Since there are new businesses opening up in the City and established businesses changing management or owners our records become out of date. Please take the time to submit your updated information. Thank you for you time.




SANFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT BECOMES 100% CRISIS INTERVENTION TEAM (CIT) TRAINED

Monday, May 19, 2014

 Chief Thomas P. Connolly, Jr., is pleased to announce that effective Friday, May 16, 2014, all Sanford Police Officers have been trained in the NAMI Maine approved CIT program.

 

CIT teaches invaluable, necessary skills in crisis de-escalation, recognizing mental illness, suicide prevention, and how to achieve positive interactions between the police and people suffering from mental illness and crisis.  CIT improves officer safety, improves officer attitudes toward people with serious mental illness, and increases referrals to mental health services. 

 

CIT also stresses partnerships between the police and those in the community who provide mental health services. These partnerships identify resources that are available in a crisis and make it possible to plan effectively for diversion.  CIT training classes utilize mental health professionals, community advocates, experienced police officers, and family members of those who suffer from mental illness.

 

Chief Connolly stated “Since 2009 I have been committed to ensuring that 100% of Sanford Police Officers are CIT trained.  It has been a long, five-year task and very expensive, since most of the training required the expenditure of overtime funds, but it has been worth every penny spent.  I can see the difference in the attitudes of my officers, and I truly believe that they interact with people suffering from mental illness and crisis differently than they did five years ago.”

 

Connolly also notes that “nationally a large percentage, perhaps as high as thirty percent, of the people with whom the police interact are suffering from some form of psychiatric disorder (http://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics).  Knowing this, how could you not invest in the skills taught through CIT?  When you consider the implications of police-assisted suicide and excited delirium, I believe that CIT training should be a mandatory requirement of all police certifying organizations nation-wide.”

 

Chief Connolly also wishes to thank Mr. Gilles “Gil” Soucy (gsoucy@namimaine.org), Law Enforcement Coordinator for NAMI Maine, for his assistance in bringing the CIT classes to Sanford.




ANTHONY CARPINELLI ARRESTED FOR AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

ANTHONY CARPINELLI ARRESTED FOR AGGRAVATED ASSAULT

Monday, May 5, 2014

 On May 5, 2014, the Sanford Police Department Criminal Investigative Division arrested Anthony Carpinelli, 21, of 25-C Bates Street for Aggravated Assault, a Class B Felony. On May 2, 2014, Detectives from the Sanford Police Department began an investigation involving two infant twins that had been brought to Southern Maine Health Care Emergency Department with serious injuries due to inflicted head trauma. The infants were transported to Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital, one with serious the other with critical injuries. The investigation revealed Mr. Carpinelli, the biological father of the twins, was the caretaker of the infants when their injuries were sustained and were inflicted intentionally. 

Mr. Carpinelli was transported to the York County Jail where he is being held without bail.




Retired Sanford Police Officer Roger Laprise remembered

Retired Sanford Police Officer Roger Laprise remembered

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

 Roger was born Dec. 8, 1945, in Sanford to Edgar and Monique (Jacques) Laprise. He attended parochial schools and was a stellar baseball and basketball player at Saint Ignatius High School. Roger signed a contract with the Pittsburg Pirates on his graduation night in 1964. He enjoyed three seasons with the Salem Rebels in Salem, VA and also trained in Daytona, FL. He was both honored and humbled to be inducted in the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006. 

Roger remained involved in the sports he loved through coaching. This involvement included Little League, Babe Ruth, SJHS baseball, St. Thomas girls’ basketball, and SSYAA youth basketball. Roger always enjoyed getting to know the players he coached. He had an impact on them on the field and off. Roger instilled in them a sense of pride in their team and in themselves. He showed them by example what good sportsmanship is all about. 

Roger had an outstanding 30 year career with the Sanford Police Department, retiring in 2001 as Senior Staff Sergeant. He was considered a firm but fair man and was highly respected by his peers and the public he served. Roger approached law enforcement as he did all his ventures- with pride, with honor and with humor. He was nonjudgmental and touched many lives during his distinguished career. 

Roger and his wife Cynthia enjoyed 49 years together. They raised three sons they loved dearly. Roger’s most enjoyable and memorable moments involved his boys- whether playing cribbage, fishing, hunting or just laughing together as they recited entire dialogues of their favorite shows. He was always extremely proud of his sons, from enjoying their childhood antics to admiring the caring men they each became. His two lovely daughters-in-law and four delightful grandchildren filled his heart with pride and joy, completing a family he adored. 

Roger is survived by his wife Cynthia (Levesque) Laprise, his sons, Roger David Laprise and his wife Tina, Daniel Laprise, Robert Laprise and his wife Laura, his precious grandchildren Joshua, Zachary, Wyatt and Ridley Monique Laprise. Also surviving are his sister Lucille Nobert and her husband Ronald, sister-in-law Linda Bernier and nieces, nephews and cousins he loved deeply.

He was a communicant of the Notre Dame Church of St. Thérèse de Lisieux Parish. He was a lifetime member of the Springvale Fish and Game Club and the Association of Professional Ball Players of America.

Roger was loving and loved. He had a great smile and hearty and memorable laugh. He enjoyed simple pleasures. He was a gentle soul and a good man. He will be sadly missed. 

Relatives and friends are invited to call on Thursday from 4 to 8 PM at the Lafrance-Lambert & Black Funeral Home, 29 Winter Street, Sanford. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Friday at 11:00 AM at the Notre Dame Church of St. Thérèse de Lisieux Parish, 10 Payne Street, Springvale. Burial will be later in the spring at Notre Dame Cemetery.

His family wishes to thank the caring staffs of both the Maine Center for Cancer Medicine and the Gosnell Memorial Hospice House for the kindnesses shown to Roger in this journey. He came to love them and consider them his friends. They laughed with him and they shed tears with him. We will be forever grateful for their gentle and compassionate care.

Those planning an expression of sympathy are asked to please consider the Maine Center for Cancer Medicine, 27 Industrial Avenue, Sanford, ME 04073 or the Gosnell Memorial Hospice House, 11 Hunnewell Road, Scarborough, ME 04074.

Arrangements are under the direction of Black Funeral Homes & Cremation Service, Sanford-Springvale. Condolences can be expressed at www.blackfuneralhomes.com.




VIDEO MESSAGE FROM CHIEF CONNOLLY REGARDING PARKING ISSUES

Wednesday, February 5, 2014


back to top